The University of Calgary, School of Creative and Performing Arts and Land’s End Chamber Music Society of Calgary present:
Eighteenth Land’s End Composers Competition
The University Calgary School of Creative & Performing Arts, the Land’s End Chamber Music Society of Calgary, and the award-winning Land’s End Ensemble are pleased to announce the 18th annual competition for emerging composers. This competition is designed to recognize and promote the creative talents of emerging composers, as well as to provide a learning experience and performance opportunity with a professional ensemble. This is a national competition, open to composers across Canada.
Rules and Regulations
• The 2018 competition is open to all undergraduate and graduate composition students currently enrolled, and/or no longer than three years since last enrolled, in a post – secondary music program at a Canadian University or Music School. Non – Canadian citizens and permanent residents are also eligible as long as they are studying composition at a Canadian University or Music School, as outlined above.
• Each composer may submit only one work.
• Past winners and finalists may enter again, as long as they remain eligible and submit a different work.
• Works must be written for any combination of the following instruments, minimum 2 players: violin, cello, piano.
• Works may include live electronics or pre-recorded electroacoustic elements (stereo only), but it is not required.
• The submission should consist of a PDF version of the full score and sound file (if available) sent via e – mail. The composer’s name must not appear anywhere on the score. Finalists must provide a set of performance parts in pdf format by Saturday, March 10th, 2018
• The duration of the work should not exceed 10 minutes.
• The submission must be an original, non – commissioned and unpublished work.
• A mailing address, phone number, and e – mail address, should be included in a separate cover letter with the submission.
Submissions must be received no later than Monday, February 26th, 2018.
The jury will select three works from the entries to be read, discussed and performed in an open workshop on Saturday April 7th, 2018 at the Rozsa Centre, University of Calgary, at 7:30 PM. The composers whose works are chosen will be contacted no later than Monday, March 5th, 2018. A subsidy of up to $500 will be available to help cover the travel expenses of each of the three finalists who are selected to participate in the workshop in Calgary. If required, hotel and/or billeting accommodation for two nights will be available in Calgary for the three finalists.
The works of the finalists will be recorded live by Land’s End Ensemble during the workshop session in Calgary and made available to the composers.
Following the workshop, a winner will be announced. He or she will receive a $1500 commission for a new chamber work of 8 – 10 minutes to be performed and recorded live by Land’s End Ensemble at a future date.
There will also be an “audience prize”, to be determined by a vote of those present at the workshop. All audience members will be eligible to vote for only one composition.
No application fee is required. All decisions of the judges are final.
Exclusive performing rights of the winning work, plus the commissioned work composed by the winner, will belong to Land’s End Ensemble for one year.
Past winners may enter again, as long as they remain eligible.
Submit entries to:
Limitation of Liability
All materials will be treated with great care; however the University of Calgary School of Creative and Performing Arts, Land’s End Chamber Music Society of Calgary, and Land’s End Ensemble will not be held responsible for the loss or damage of manuscripts or audio materials nor for any other unforeseen damage, losses, and/or injuries incurred as a result of the competition.
To view a .pdf version of the competition rules click here.