Soundplay 1 (2004)
Level: K-Grade 6
In Soundplay I composer David Eagle takes found sounds, and manipulates them to make a new kind of music. He found the sounds of everyday objects could be used in combination to create a new “soundscape”
- At your home, find an object that makes a special sound. Don’t bring electronic toys or “real” musical instruments – try to find a new sound from a common object. (Check with your parents to ensure the object is not dangerous in any way.)
- Experiment and discover at least two ways to make two different sounds with your found object.
- Design a simple symbol for your found sound object.
- Bring your object and symbol to school. Using the blackboard, create a piece of music that uses every person’s found sound.
- Edit your piece of music. Are there parts where you can be louder or softer? Are there places where you can use your two means of creating sound.
- Perform this piece for another class, or even for your parents, in a concert setting.